Monday, October 3, 2011

Golightly and Google

Google is probably the only thing that fuels laziness and stimulates inspiration at the same time. On one hand, we do things the lazy way and google for ideas; material that will hopefully inspire and trigger a host of new search terms and tags that eventually enables us to create something different or something new out of the remediated material. In a way, nothing is truly original and all our seemingly original ideas are in fact not born from within us but are born because of what we have experienced, learnt, done, seen, heard or felt. I guess it is that personal touch that gives an artist the authority to call a piece of art, be it choreography, fashion or prose, something that is truly his or her own. Honestly, when reading about designers or artists, how often is it that they describe a masterpiece as something that is inherently personal and deeply in sync with their life stories. Food for thought over my soy banana muffin and coffee that is black as night to (ironically) get me through the day.

This came about because I was doing an image search for costumes on My Fair Lady, as part of the current stage production project I am involved in. As is the case for any research done on the Internet, I got distracted. Go type 'my fair lady' into your google image search bar and image after image of the ever-gorgeous Ms Hepburn pops up. Focus completely lost, I sidetracked to finding out more about Audrey Hepburn. I absolutely adored her as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's, a show that I've watched countless times.

We're all familiar with that iconic photo of Hepburn with that slim cigarette holder that rests sexily on those luscious lips of hers that are amazingly well-defined. It's been replicated so darn many times; sketched, watermarked, photoshopped, painted and also, of course Warhol-ed into pop art for mainstream consumption. Which takes me back to what I mentioned earlier, about the whole 'copy culture' especially on the digital platform. Nothing wrong with it of course, if anything, it opens new avenues for creative growth in tandem with the opening of space for digital piracy and copyright infringement, which I think we have all heard enough of. Seriously, instead of fighting a losing battle, media giants should work the system since it is evidently not changing for the better even as the tech-savvy population understand the consequences of their actions.

Regardless, that image of Audrey Hepburn is etched in my mind so much that I am reluctant to put it in this post. Too much of a good thing isn't good. Hence, what you see of Hepburn here are some of the images that I feel really portray her beauty and charisma. (Ironically and hilariously, I have no idea if these images are copyrighted but let's close one eye to that.) There are millions of articles on the web about Hepburn as a fashion icon and so many people out there have chosen her as their style inspiration (again, google it if you want to read those). In a way, she is mine too except that I am more impressed by her off-screen persona than her on-screen style. Sure, we're all inspired by Holly Golightly, Eliza Doolittle or Princess Ann but what exactly is it about Hepburn that tips that scale for you in her favour?

Photobucket
Dancing in Funny Face
Muse for Givenchy throughout her life? Pioneered the LBD? I have to say her waif figure definitely contributed to the way she redefined fashion. Hepburn's beauty, class and grace remains unparalleled in my book and personally, nothing says a class act more than her simple, minimalist style accented with accessories so bold, you don't know if you should take your eyes off her to look at them or off them to look at her. Sometimes when jewellery is too huge, it looks tacky but somehow Hepburn wears her jewellery with such class, as though they all came from Tiffany's. As a sucker for chunky jewellery, Hepburn is naturally one icon I can relate to. Not that I would replicate her Givenchy-chic to every last detail, that would be brainless copying which I find is not fun at all. Anyway, I like some grunge in what I wear. Give me a pair of boots over stilettos any day, unless those heels are Louboutins (haha). What I would love to adopt, or rather adapt, is the effortless manner with which she carries all that jewellery on her tiny frame. Perfection.

Some Hepburn for your Monday blues. Note the difference between the blues and the mean reds. The blues come about because you feel fat (check) or maybe the weather is just unbearable (check). However having the blues just means you're sad, the mean reds come when you feel afraid and you don't know why or what you're afraid of. Wise words from Holly Golightly, who also suggests hopping into a cab to Tiffany's for a dose of calm. Retail therapy works wonders.

Photobucket
Hepburn; in a class of her own
Photobucket
In Roman Holiday
Photobucket
Wayfarers with chunky pearls and a black evening dress complete with long black gloves, balancing a coffee whilst clutching a white shawl and eating a croissant standing up- I salute this Belgian babe

Photobucket
On set for My Fair Lady before the Rain In Spain number which is, honestly, a rather ridiculous song but it gets the message across that her Southern English has vastly improved and she's well on her way to becoming a refined English lady worthy of upper society
Photobucket

Photobucket
Holly Golightly lighting up and looking like a million dollars even with that cigarette on her lips
Photobucket

Photobucket
One of my favourite photos (ever) of Hepburn
Hepburn really won me over when I discovered she named her Yorkshire terrier Mr. Famous.


♥,
Fir

No comments:

Post a Comment